Summer fun is endless in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada! Whether you’re a local or a first-time visitor, there’s definitely something for you and the kids in our beautiful city – and plenty of great day trips too. Don’t forget to check our calendar for weekly events. And now… here’s our list of 100 things to do with your family in Halifax this Summer 2017!
100 Things To Do with Your Family in Halifax this Summer
1. Start with a bang! Head to the Halifax Citadel to see the firing of the noon cannon
2. Take a ride around downtown on Hali, the NEW Halifax Road Train!
3. Go for a family jog in Point Pleasant Park
4. Swim for free at the Halifax Commons Pool (great playground there too).
5. Take a day trip to visit the replica Maud Lewis House, outside of Digby.
6. Sample the local delights of Dee Dee’s Ice Cream in the North End
7. Mooove your taste buds at Cow’s Ice Cream at Historic Properties
8. Coffee Time! Grab a croissant and java at Two if By Sea, Dartmouth.
9. Marvel at the Tall Ships Festival, July 29th – August 1st, 2017
10. See The Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo
11. Cool off at one of these awesome playgrounds that also have a lake or splash park!
12. Be a tourist: Ride the Harbour Hopper!
13. Join the crew of the Tall Ship Silva for a Pirate Cruise!
14. Tootle around the harbour on Theodore Tugboat
15. Say “Hello” to Merlin the Parrot at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic
16. Join Gus the Tortoise for his daily walk at the Natural History Museum, 3:00 pm, most days
17. Visit McNab’s Island for an afternoon
18. Say hello to your neighbours at the Seaport Farmer’s Market
19. Get some Saturday groceries at the Forum Farmer’s Market
20. Shop local at the Alderney Landing Farmer’s Market, Dartmouth
21. Visit a harbour playground: a pirate ship or a submarine!
22. Rent roller skates, inline skates or bikes at the Halifax Oval
23. Visit the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia (free on Thursday nights)
25. Get groovy at the Halifax Jazz Festival – July 12th-16th, 2017
26. Read a book on the roof of the new Halifax library
27. Indulge in a morning at the Movies with Cineplex Family Favourites
28. Take in a concert at the Public Gardens‘ Summer Concert Series
29. Celebrate us girls at the Women’s Festival, July 15-16th, 2017, Memory Lane Village.
30. Go on a ghost tour of Citadel Hill.
31. Explore the North End’s Hydrostone Area. We recommend Julien’s cafe!
32. Take the #15 bus to York Redoubt National Historic Site
33. Eat Al Fresco from a Food Truck, every Wednesday at the Food Truck Night at the Museum
34. See what’s new at Argyle Fine Art on Barrington Street
35. Work on those cavities at at Freak Lunchbox on Barrington St.
36. Check out the new Discovery Centre on the Halifax Waterfront (Free on Wednesday nights!)
37. Stroll through Common Roots Urban Farm, Robie St.
38. Go Green! Visit Halifax Seed Company to buy some summer annuals.
39. Wave your rainbow flag at the Halifax Pride Parade , July 20-30th, 2017.
40. Enjoy a delicious Gelato at the Humani-T Cafe in the Hydrostone area
41. Enjoy another delicious Gelato at the Humani-T Cafe on South Park Street!
42. See what’s on Sale at Hali-Kids (next door to the Humani-T Cafe downtown)
43. Stroll along Spring Garden Road
44. Read and play all afternoon at the Woozles – Canada’s oldest children’s bookstore!
45. Go classic on the Juke Box at Bedford’s famous Chickenbuger restaurant
45. Swim at the Lion’s club pool in Bedford (great playground there too).
46. Visit Fisherman’s Cove for some delicious fish n’chips and family fun!
47. Take the #7 bus to the end of Novalea, then walk to the Africville Museum
48. Explore history at the Black Cultural Centre in Cherry Brook
49. Bring your teens to Seven Bays – a unique North End bouldering experience
50. Climb indoors at Ground Zero rock climbing gym, Burnside
51. Visit Dalplex for swimming, rock-climing and indoor playground fun
52. Raining? Check out one of Halifax’s indoor playgrounds
53. Paint the afternoon away at the Clay Cafe on Quinpool
54. Get crafty at Michael’s Kids Clubs on Saturday morning
55. Knock something together at a monthly Home Depot workshop
56. Head to St. Margaret’s Bay Trail for an invigorating bike ride or jog
57. (Don’t forget to grab a coffee and a treat at the Bike n’ Bean, Tantallon)
58. Enjoy a family wagon ride and fun day out at Hatfield Farm
59. Feel the speed at Kartbhan in Bayer’s Lake
60. Swirl down the waterside at the Canada Games Centre
61. Go for a dip, a paddle -or even FREE lessons!- at Kearney Lake Beach
62. Dip your toes – or launch your kayak – at Graham’s Grove, Dartmouth
63. Win prizes at the library with the TD Summer Reading Club
64. Spend the afternoon at Queensland Beach
65. Visit Hubbards Market, The Trellis Cafe or the Shore Club in Hubbards
66. Take the #20 or #14 bus to sandy-bottomed Chocolate Lake Beach
67. Take Dad for a round of golf at Brunello Links
68. Spend every Friday night down at Scotia Speedworld.
67. Motors running! The 8th Annual British Motoring Festival is in Windsor, July 14-16th, 2017
68. Take the kids on a picnic! check out our list of 5 great places to picnic in Halifax-Dartmouth
69. Check out the brand new playground and beach at The Dingle
70. Bring the whole family to the Busker Festival – August 2-7, 2017
71. Amuse yourself at Atlantic Playland in Hammonds Plains
72. Create your own art at 4Cats Studio on Oxford Street
73. While you’re on Oxford Street, stop into Local Jo’s for a cappuccino and a kid’s lunch!
74. Rent a Bike from I Heart Bikes at the Halifax Waterfront
75. Sample a beaver tail or lobster roll with the tourists along the Halifax Harbourwalk
76. Ride the Halifax-Dartmouth Ferry, just for fun!
77. Day trip: See the new lion cub at Oaklawn Zoo
78: Day trip: Visit the past at Ross Farm Museum
79: Explore history at Cole Harbour Heritage Farm
80: Compete in the Clam Harbour Sand Castle Competition – Sunday, August 20th, 2017
81: Take the #7 bus to Fort Needham– climb trees and explore history!
82. Go for a family jog at Shubie Park in Dartmouth
83: Clamber over the rocks at Peggy’s Cove (but not too close!)
84. Enjoy a delicious steamed gingerbread at the Sou’Wester Restaurant, Peggy’s Cove
85: Day Trip: Explore historic Sherbrooke Village, near Liscomb
86. See Pinocchio al fresco at Shakespeare by the Sea in Point Pleasant Park
87. Playground and easy walking trail with a great view: DeWolfe Park, Bedford
88. Day trip: Spend the day riding the roller coaster at Upper Clements Park
89. Day trip: Visit the 1940’s at Heritage Village on the Eastern Shore
90. Day trip: Kayak and SUP all day at the Atlantica Oak Island Marina -only 40 min from Halifax
91. North End: Bring a lantern to the The Northern Lights Lantern Festival, Saturday, Aug 12th, 2017.
92. Explore your family’s immigration history at Pier 21
93. Happy Birthday Halifax! The Natal Day Festival is August 4th – 7th, 2017
94. Explore the Frog Pond Trail, off Purcell’s Cove Road
95. Get gnarly at an HRM Skate Park (there’s a new one in Dartmouth!)
96. Take the family for a walk on the Hemlock Ravine Trail, off the Bedford Highway
97. Go for brunch at Elements on Hollis.
98. Catch some blues at the Harmonica Festival – August 12th, 2017 in Lake Charlotte.
99. Roll down Citadel Hill!
100. Smile – you live in a great city.
Been there, done that? Check our calendar to see exactly what’s happening this week in Halifax.
Have a great summer families!
Although we do our best to provide you with accurate information, all event details are subject to change. Please contact the facility to avoid disappointment.