Summer fun is endless in Halifax! Whether you’re a local or a first-time visitor, there’s definitely something for you and the kids in our beautiful city – and plenty of great day trips too. Don’t forget to check our calendar for weekly events. And now… here’s our list of 100 things to do with your family in Halifax this Summer 2019!
100 Things To Do with Your Family in Halifax this Summer
1. Start with a bang! Head to the Halifax Citadel to see the firing of the noon cannon.
3. Go for a family jog or walk in Point Pleasant Park.
4. Go for a free swim at the Halifax Commons Pool (great playground there too)!
5. Day trip:
6. Sample the local delights of Dee Dee’s Ice Cream in the North End.
7. Enjoy live music on the waterfront each Tuesday evening at the Museum of the Atlantic’s Tuesday Night Tunes.
8. Coffee Time! Grab a croissant and java at Two if By Sea, Dartmouth.
9. Visit McNab’s Island for an afternoon.
11. Cool off at one of these awesome splash parks!
12. Be a tourist: Ride the Harbour Hopper!
13. Join the crew of the Tall Ship Silva for a Pirate Cruise!
15. Say “Hello” to Merlin the Parrot at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (FREE admission in July and August!)
16. Join Gus the Tortoise for his daily walk at the Natural History Museum, 3:30 pm, most days. (FREE admission in July and August!)
17. Fly a kite on Citadel Hill at the East Coast Kite Festival – July 10th and 11th!
18. Say hello to your neighbours at the Seaport Farmer’s Market.
19. Get some Saturday groceries at the Forum Farmer’s Market.
20. Shop local at the Alderney Landing Farmer’s Market, Dartmouth.
21. Visit a harbour playground: a pirate ship or a submarine!
22. Rent roller skates, inline skates or bikes at the Halifax Oval.
23. Visit the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia (FREE admission in July and August!)
24. Visit Fisherman’s Cove for some delicious fish n’chips and family fun!
25. Get groovy at the Halifax Jazz Festival – July 9th to 14th, 2019.
26. Read a book on the roof of the Halifax Central Library.
27. Indulge in a morning at the Movies with Cineplex Family Favourites.
28. Take in a concert at the Public Gardens’ Summer Concert Series.
29. Let the kids run free at one of HRM’s Must-Visit Playgrounds.
30. Go on a ghost tour of Citadel Hill.
31. Explore the North End’s Hydrostone Area. We recommend Julien’s cafe!
32. Celebrate Lebanese music, culture and food at the Halifax Lebenese Festival – July 11th to 14th, 2019
33. Take the #15 bus to York Redoubt National Historic Site.
34. Step aboard the famous Bluenose II!
35. Enjoy AFRIFEST – the annual Africa Festival of Arts and Culture – July 19th to 21st, 2019!
36. Check out the Discovery Centre on the Halifax Waterfront (FREE on Wednesday nights)!
37. Mooove your taste buds at Cow’s Ice Cream at Historic Properties.
38. Go Green! Visit Halifax Seed Company to buy some summer annuals.
39. Wave your rainbow flag at the Halifax Pride Parade , July 20th, 2019.
40. Enjoy a delicious Gelato at the Humani-T Cafe in the Hydrostone area or South Park Street, downtown.
41. Check out the World Tuna Flat Races in beautiful Hubbard’s Cove, July 27th, 2019.
42. Cheer on Halifax’s newest sports team – the Halifax Wanderers FC.
43. Stroll along Spring Garden Road and take in the Children’s Festival on August 11th, 2019.
44. Read and play all afternoon at Woozles – Canada’s oldest children’s bookstore!
45. Go classic on the Juke Box and check out the Summer Outdoor Movies at Bedford’s famous Chickenbuger restaurant.
46. Swim at the Lion’s club pool in Bedford (great playground there too).
47. Take the #7 bus to the end of Novalea, then walk to the Africville Museum.
48. Explore history at the Black Cultural Centre in Cherry Brook.
49. Bring your teens to Seven Bays – a unique North End bouldering experience.
50. Climb indoors at Ground Zero rock climbing gym, Burnside.
51. Visit Dalplex for swimming, rock-climbing and indoor playground fun.
52. Raining? Check out one of Halifax’s indoor playgrounds.
53. Paint the afternoon away at the Clay Cafe on Quinpool.
54. Get crafty at Michael’s Kids Clubs on Saturday morning.
55. Knock something together at a monthly Home Depot workshop.
56. Head to St. Margaret’s Bay Trail for an invigorating bike ride or jog.
57. (Don’t forget to grab a coffee and a treat at the Bike n’ Bean, Tantallon).
58. Enjoy a family wagon ride and fun day out at Hatfield Farm.
59. Feel the speed at Kartbhan in Bayer’s Lake.
60. Swirl down the waterside at the Canada Games Centre.
61. Go for a dip, a paddle -or even FREE lessons!- at Kearney Lake Beach.
62. Dip your toes – or launch your kayak – at Graham’s Grove, Dartmouth.
63. Win prizes at the library with the TD Summer Reading Club.
64. Spend the afternoon at Queensland Beach.
65. Visit Hubbards Market, the Trellis Cafe or the Shore Club in Hubbards.
66. Take the #20 or #14 bus to sandy-bottomed Chocolate Lake Beach.
67. Hit the greens for a round of golf at Brunello Links.
68. Spend every Friday night down at Scotia Speedworld.
69. Bring the whole family to the Busker Festival – July 31st to August 5th, 2019.
70. Take the kids on a picnic! check out our list of 5 great places to picnic in Halifax-Dartmouth.
71. Ride the new waterslides at Atlantic Splash Adventure in Hammonds Plains.
72. Create your own art at 4Cats Studio on Oxford Street.
73. While you’re on Oxford Street, stop into Local Jo’s for a cappuccino and a kid’s lunch!
74. Rent a Bike from I Heart Bikes at the Halifax Waterfront.
75. Sample a beavertail or lobster roll with the tourists along the Halifax Harbourwalk.
76. Ride the Halifax-Dartmouth Ferry, just for fun!
77. Day trip: Check out the animals at the Oaklawn Zoo and stay for the daily ‘Big Cat’ feeding!
78. Day trip: Visit the past at Ross Farm Museum. (FREE admission in July and August!)
79. Explore history at Cole Harbour Heritage Farm.
80. Compete in the Clam Harbour Sand Castle Competition – Sunday, August 11th, 2019.
81. Take the #7 bus to Fort Needham– climb trees and explore history!
82. Go for a family jog and swim at Shubie Park in Dartmouth.
83. Clamber over the rocks at Peggy’s Cove (but not too close!)
84. Enjoy a delicious steamed gingerbread at the Sou’Wester Restaurant, Peggy’s Cove.
85. Day Trip: Explore historic Sherbrooke Village, near Liscomb.
86. See ‘A Midsummer Nights Dream’ at Shakespeare by the Sea in Point Pleasant Park.
87. Playground and easy walking trail with a great view: DeWolfe Park, Bedford.
88. Happy Birthday Halifax! The Natal Day Festival is August 3rd to 5th, 2019
89. Day trip: Visit the 1940’s at Memory Lane Heritage Village on the Eastern Shore
90. Day trip: Kayak and SUP all day at the Atlantica Oak Island Marina -only 40 min from Halifax.
91. North End: Bring a lantern to the The Northern Lights Lantern Festival, Saturday, Aug 10th, 2019.
92. Explore your family’s immigration history at Pier 21.
93. Lose yourself in the rich culture at the Halifax India Fest – August 9th to 11th, 2019
94. Explore the Frog Pond Trail, off Purcell’s Cove Road.
96. Take the family for a walk on the Hemlock Ravine Trail, just off the Bedford Highway.
97. Check out the playground and beach at The Dingle.
98. Catch some blues at the Harmonica Festival – August 10th, 2019 in Lake Charlotte.
99. Roll down Citadel Hill!
100. Smile – you live in a great city!
Been there, done that? Check our calendar to see exactly what’s happening this week in Halifax.
Have a great summer, everyone!