To help parents manage the new reality of weeks at home with the kids, the Vancouver Aquarium and Ocean Wise have launched a free online ocean literacy resource called Online Oceans, bringing ocean-inspired crafts, activities, DIY videos, live-streamed learning, and more, to families around the world.
Created by Ocean Wise educators, together with animal experts from the Vancouver Aquarium, these captivating resources are designed for kids and youth of all ages to learn the how and why of caring for the ocean, and all the animals in it.
With activities and offerings broken down by age group, a highlight of Online Oceans is the live-streamed learning sessions on topics including: Ocean Plastics, Sharks! and Arctic Adaptations. Livestreams take place multiple times each week and are free to join from the comfort of your own laptop.
Check out some of the great activities, and learning opportunities, already available:
- Feed your little piranhas at the Recipe Corner
- Plastic free glitter and tinted lip balm DIY video tutorials
- Live-streamed programs on topics like Ocean Plastics and Sharks
- Links to Vancouver Aquarium live animal web cams
- Feed the Shark Craft and Animal Colouring Pages
- Virtual AquaClasses for teens and older kids, privately, or in small groups
- Curriculum-based Complete Education Kits
Looking for more tips on how to keep your kids occupied during the COVID-19 crisis? Find our best ideas, activities and inspiration here!