It’s been a long winter spent in various states of lockdown and everyone is going a bit stir-crazy. A perfect way to get some fresh air and exercise is to take to the streets of Toronto on foot or by bike, on weekends through the summer.
The City of Toronto is continuing its ActiveTO initiative this summer to encourage residents to enjoy the great outdoors, while still respecting physical distancing. The program focuses on making extra space for people to walk, run and cycle within the city. They are making this a priority by creating quiet streets, closing major roads and expanding the cycling network. You can read more about ActiveTO on the City of Toronto website.
Major road closures may include (areas closed vary by weekend due to construction, and are subject to change):
- Lake Shore Boulevard West (eastbound lanes), between Windermere Avenue or Jameson Avenue and Stadium Road
- Lake Shore Boulevard East (eastbound lanes), between Leslie Street to Woodbine Avenue
- The Meadoway in Scarborough (Brimley Road to Scarborough Golf Club Road)
- Bayview Avenue, between Front Street East and Rosedale Valley Road, and River Street, between Bayview Avenue and Spruce Street
- Black Creek Drive (northbound lanes), Trethewey Drive to Lawrence Avenue
- Roads within High Park
- Roads within Exhibition Place
When: Weekends through July and August 2021