The International Children’s Festival of the Arts is thrilled to be back celebrating in-person in 2022! One of the largest and longest-running festivals of its kind in North America, it has entertained, educated, enthralled, and enamored children of Alberta’s Capital Region for decades. Mark your calendar for June 2-5 to enjoy this unique blend of inspiring feature performances, creative workshops, interactive exhibits, family-friendly activities and open air stages. This year brings endless fun both inside and out, in-person or online!
This year’s festival will host 6 exciting feature performances from jaw-dropping, critically-acclaimed artists. All shows are available at multiple times throughout the festival. School and Group tickets are on sale now, and general ticket sales will open to the public on Wednesday, April 13, 2022. All tickets will be available to purchase at tickets.stalbert.ca on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- “Blizzard” by FLIP Fabrique Go on a crazy, poetic and gentle journey with Québec circus troupe, FLIP Fabrique. Prepare to be engulfed in a winter storm that will blow away everything in its path and invite you to lose yourself in a moment of wonder.
- Koo Koo Kanga Roo Back by popular demand, join best friends Bryan and Neil for their signature style of dance, comedy and catchy pop tunes. Armed with nothing more than an iPod, two mics, one giant rainbow and gold sneakers, they will have everyone singing and dancing along in a veritable extravaganza of fun.
- Mikey Harris & the Ivan Flett Memorial Dancers This dazzling dance extravaganza perfectly combines traditional Métis Red River jigging with modern Hip Hop. Join TikTok sensation Mikey “DizzyFeet” Harris and his siblings Jacob and Cieanna, together as the Ivan Flett Memorial Dancers in this unique cumulation of cultures and dance styles.
- Jam Side Up by The Kif-Kif Sisters Join twin sisters Françoise and Josette for a zany show filled with acrobatics, funny theatre, magic, puppetry and zany antics. Watch as they juggle umbrellas, fight giant pink monsters, climb into giant balloons and try to confuse the audience with by twisting and intermingling with each other.
- The Silver Starlets Aerial Acrobatic Show This all-female aerial acrobatic show will dazzle and delight as the glamourous Starlets take to their 20 foot high free-standing trapeze rig. Watch as they tumble, twist, bend climb and fall in a breathtaking performance high above the crowd!
- Junie B’s Essential Survival Guide to School Join the St. Albert Children’s Theatre in this goofy and heartwarming follow-up to their 2018 performance of Junie B. Jones, The Musical. Based on the bestselling books, the music-filled show will follow Junie B. as she experiences first grade and comes to realize nobody is ever done learning.
Another great aspect of the festival is the wide variety of creative workshops for children and families to enjoy. This year’s festival has scheduled workshops focused on printmaking, creative mask making, storytelling, gardening, drumming, fairy finding, sound creation, and Ukrainian dance. It’s the perfect way to get creative and try something new. See the full selection and schedule here.
For your preschoolers, a playful and interactive sensory garden will allow them to join the hands-on fun. Drop-in admission to the Le Jardin des petites Âmes (Garden for Little Ones) is just $6 and will allow children aged 0-7 to move at their own pace and they touch and bring the puppetry and musical elements to life.
Plus, watch for more great preschool programming to be announced soon!
Free Things to Do
There is fun around every corner during the International Children’s Festival of the Arts! As you make your way between performances and workshops, don’t forget to check out the selection of fun and free activities including the Indigenous Peoples Experience, Maze Craze, Education Station, or non-stop entertainment on the Outdoor Stage. Find fun roving artists, get an airbrush tattoo, brighten the sidewalks with your own chalk art, or make an artistic contribution to the Crafty Forest Canopy in the Open Art Studio.
Or head out with the family and challenge yourselves to find one of the two Festival Geocaches! Do you have what it takes to find the hidden fairy house or discover the magical creature nestled amongst the trees of St. Albert’s beautiful trail system?
Four great virtual performances will round out this year’s line-up and give schools and groups the opportunity to easily join in on the festival fun. Challenge students with the Unlock the Vault! escape room created and hosted by Marty Chan, workshop with Alex A., author of several comic books and the Super Agent Jon Le Bon! series, enjoy a music filled storytime during Because it’s All Good! with Eric Litwin (author of Pete the Cat) or go on a digital journey into the real world with Jessica Wilson’s Child Nation.
2022 International Children’s Festival of the Arts:
When: June 2 – 5, 2022
Time: Thursday & Friday: 9:30 am – 3:00 pm | Saturday & Sunday: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
Where: Downtown St. Albert, various sites & Online