Sponsored by Lacombe Regional Tourism
Ahhh summer! Everything is green and lush, the days are longer and brighter, and the warm sun makes you want to let loose and have some fun. The summer months always pass way quicker then we want, so Family Fun Edmonton is here to help you make the best of them with our Summer Fun Bucket List! Whether you are planning a roadtrip or looking for adventures in and around the city, there is something fun and exciting for everyone to discover.
Help make the best of your family time together this June through September by reading all the great summer fun suggestions below.
What’s on Our Summer Fun Bucket List?
6. Splash into the City of Edmonton outdoor pools! Queen Elizabeth Pool officially opens June 22 and all other pools will be open as of July 1, 2022. It’s a fun and inexpensive family activity with FREE admission for all kids aged 12 and under.
7. Visit the animals – living and LEGO – at the Edmonton Valley Zoo! This summer we are lucky to have 13 large-scale LEGO sculptures displayed throughout the zoo as part of the Nature Connects exhibit. It’s all included with regular admission and a fun bonus feature to see and explore on your next visit.
8. Take a FREE tour of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta. Learn about the rich history of the building and get a glimpse into where and how our parliamentary process works. The summer is the perfect time to visit and spend some extra time wandering through the beautifully landscaped grounds or enjoying a picnic. PLUS don’t miss the 360-degree 4D movie experience at the Pehonan Theatre in the nearby visitor centre. The movie Our People Our Province offers an immersive experience with many fun surprises to see and feel!
9. Discover a new attraction (or old favourite) at West Edmonton Mall! Whether you are wanting to escape the heat or pass the time on a rainy day, West Edmonton Mall has you covered for Summer Break fun. The hardest part will be deciding whether you splash into the always 31-degree World Waterpark, go on an undersea adventure at Sea Life Caverns, take a leisurely paddle with the Birds of Paradise, hit up the new Hasbro-inspired rides in Galaxyland, book a bowling lane at Ed’s or challenge the family to a round of minigolf!
10. Find market-fresh goodies at the Edmonton and Area Seasonal Farmers’ Markets. You can enjoy fresh produce and handmade wares from some amazing local vendors almost any day of the week. Plus check out the Kids Sprouts Program at the Southwest Edmonton Farmers’ Market and Little Beans at 124 Grand Market which lets kids pick out their own free produce each week!
11. Take the family to see Skooby Doob and the Haunted Race Track with Jubilations Junior! Don’t miss your chance to enjoy this original musical production and delicious multi-course meal – both designed with kids in mind! Choose from several delicious food choices for adults and kids alike, then sit back and enjoy a fun Saturday afternoon filled with laughter, music, and lasting memories. Book today using our promo code SKOOBYSUMMER to receive $5 off adult and child tickets (promo code valid until August 13, 2022).
12. Edmonton is the city of festivals. Nearly all summer long you find a festival, carnival, or fair going on to suit your fancy. Look no further than our list of Summer Festivals, Carnivals and Fairs to discover them all! From music and the arts to rodeos and carnival rides to celebrations of countries and cultures, there’s so much fun (and often learning!) to be had.
14. Plan the perfect family playcation with Calaway Park! Take a short road trip south to discover tons of amusement park fun including 32 rides, fun carnival games, live shows and entertainment, a Cinemagic 3D theatre and a walk through the Haunted Hotel. This popular Calgary summer destination has been providing joy, excitement and family memories in Alberta for 40+1 exciting years.
15. Take a walk on the rural side with Alberta Open Farm Days 2022. Albertans are encouraged to head out to the country on August 13 & 14 to meet some of the farmers who grow our food. This is your opportunity to see demonstrations, meet some impressive animals, try delicious farm-fresh foods and hear stories from those in Alberta’s agriculture industry.
16. Make some BIG roadside discoveries East of Edmonton. Our family had a blast last summer stopping at some of the large-scale sculptures and attractions in the small towns East of Edmonton. It makes for some silly photo ops and fun family memories.
17. Sign the kids up for a fun summer camp! There’s a camp for every age and interest on our Summer Camp Guide. Enroll the kids in an activity you know they already love or book a week trying something new and exciting. Our guide offers almost 50 different one-day, week-long and overnight camp options to explore.
18. Pack that picnic basket! We’ve found 5 Delightful Picnic Spots in Edmonton perfect for enjoying a meal outside in the warm summer breeze. Don’t forget the frisbee or soccer ball for extra fun in the park!
19. Hit the lanes with Kids Bowl Free! Registered kids are eligible for 2 FREE games of bowling each day all summer long. Find the program at bowling alley’s in Edmonton, Sherwood Park and St Albert.
20. Head to your nearest library branch and find reading-inspired fun all summer long during Summer Starts at EPL! Kids can take part in 9 weeks of reading challenges, contests, prizes, guest performances, events and more. Earn a button for every 6 hours of reading, plus be entered into the draw for a Nintendo Switch or Lego set! And that’s not all – there’s also a full line-up of performers, classes and events to be discovered in July & August.
21. Plan a visit to Happy Acres U-Pick to meet some friendly farm animals, enjoy delicious farm-fresh treats and bring home produce fresh picked from the field. For just $5 admission each you can see miniature Jersey cows, miniature donkey’s, miniature horses, sheep, goats, pheasants, chickens, peacocks, pigs, rabbits, a cockatoo and more! It is the perfect place to meet for a playdate.
22. 12. Discover a new playground! What kid doesn’t love finding a new park to play at? Pack some snacks and head out to discover our list of 12 Sensational Playgrounds Worth the Drive-in and Around Edmonton.
23. Cool off at the movie theatre! There’s nowhere better to be on a really hot day than sitting back in a comfy seat in a dark and air-conditioned theatre. Enjoy super affordable older-run movies during Cineplex Family Favourites or Metro Cinema’s Reel Family Cinema, or see the latest summer blockbusters at a discount with Landmark Cinemas Kids’ Day Sundays.
Want to see your business or event featured in our Summer Fun Bucket List? Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lacombe Regional Tourism offers up a wide range of fun family activities, events, or culinary experiences just a short drive south of Edmonton!
Our top picks include splashing down the outdoor waterslides at The Abbey Centre, sunbathing in the beautiful white sand at Aspen Beach, meeting new feathered friends at Ellis Bird Farm and getting lost in the corn maze at Kraay Family Farm.
It’s all waiting for you to discover with Lacombe Regional Tourism!