It’s hot out. Like my laundry develops a musty, gaggy smell if I don’t transfer it to the dryer immediately. Like the bread on my counter sprouts mold as I am still putting groceries away. Like my poor dog who does not get a haircut every 6-8 weeks like the groomer recommends (really? MY hair doesn’t even get cut that often!) is in danger of melting into a puddle of Shih Tzu on the floor.
Never fear Edmonton, we have some excellent ideas for how to beat the heat!
1. Get swimming! When it’s really warm, stay out of the sun at an indoor pool, preferably the World Waterpark at West Edmonton Mall, but when the sun is less intense, why not get outside and have fun at one of the city’s outdoor pools?
2. Get inside! Indoor playgrounds are still open in the summer, with the added bonus of being far less busy than in the more blustery months
3. Get air-conditioned! The programs at Edmonton Public Library all summer long are also a great way to spend some air conditioned time!
4. Get into the shade! There are some trails in Elk Island National Park that are nicely treed which offer some shade and welcome respite from the sweltering sun.
5. Get splashed! The number of spray parks in Edmonton is far above average for a city our size. How many of them will you hit before summer is up?
6. Get ice cream! Some of our favourites are What’s the Scoop on Whyte Ave. and Fantasia Gelato in Enterprise Square downtown, or taking some Cravings Gelato home from the St Albert or Southwest Farmers’ Markets.
7. Get downstairs! Head to your basement, draw the shades and have an afternoon movie “night.” This calls for popcorn and maybe some slushie drinks.
8. Get wading! Aside from being a great place to cool off, the fountains at the Legislature Building and City Hall are among the most picturesque spots out there!
9. Get safe! You know it already, but a kid with sunstroke should be avoided at all costs! Watch them for the warning signs, stay hydrated and load up on the sunscreen!