Spring has arrived in Halifax and parents are looking for fun and engaging outdoor spring activities to do with their kids. Luckily, Halifax has a bunch of outdoor activities and seasonal hot spots that families can enjoy together.
One of the top outdoor activities that parents and their kids can enjoy in Halifax during spring is visiting parks and gardens. Halifax Public Gardens is a must-visit for families looking for a peaceful and beautiful place to explore. The garden is home to a wide range of exotic plants, trees, and flowers, making it an ideal spot for nature lovers. Additionally, Shubie Park is a great place to visit for families looking for an outdoor adventure. With picnic areas, playgrounds, walking trails, and a beach, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Another great way to spend quality time with kids in Halifax during spring is by visiting a farm. Hatfield Farm offers pony rides, wagon rides, and even horseback riding for children. Springtime is also the time in which baby farm animals begin to appear, can you imagine anything else so sweet?
For families who are interested in history, Halifax Citadel National Historic Site is a great place to visit. The site offers an educational experience for both children and adults, as visitors can learn about the history of Halifax and its role in Canadian history. Kids will love exploring the fort and participating in interactive activities.
Spring is also the perfect time to explore the beaches and waterfront in Halifax. Point Pleasant Park is a great place to visit for families who enjoy hiking, picnicking, and beachcombing. Additionally, the Halifax Waterfront Boardwalk offers stunning views of the harbour and is home to a variety of shops, restaurants, and attractions.
Here are our top 10 outdoor spring activities to do with your kids in HRM:
- Take a stroll through the Halifax Public Gardens – The beautiful flowers are starting to bloom and the ducks are swimming in the ponds. It’s a lovely place for a peaceful walk with the family.
- Visit the Halifax Waterfront – The Halifax Waterfront has so much to offer. Take a ferry ride across the harbour, explore the boardwalk, and grab some ice cream from one of the many shops.
- Hike through Point Pleasant Park – Point Pleasant Park is a beautiful park located on the southern tip of the Halifax peninsula. Enjoy the fresh air, scenic views, and a chance to see some wildlife.
- Go on a picnic at Sir Sandford Fleming Park – Sir Sandford Fleming Park is a great place for a family picnic. The park is located on a hill, offering stunning views of Halifax and the harbour.
- Visit the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site – The Halifax Citadel is a must-see attraction in Halifax. Explore the fortifications and learn about the history of the city.
- Take a bike ride on the Salt Marsh Trail – The Salt Marsh Trail is a 9 km trail that winds through beautiful wetlands and forests. It’s a great way to get some exercise and explore nature with the family.
- Explore the Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse – Peggy’s Cove is a beautiful fishing village located just outside of Halifax. The lighthouse is a must-see attraction and the village is full of quaint shops and restaurants.
- Get active at Halifax Commons– There’s a playground, a skate park, paths for walking and biking, several sports fields, and lots of open space where you can do whatever you like.
- Go on a whale watching tour – Halifax is located near some of the best whale watching in the world. Take a tour and see if you can spot some humpback whales, dolphins, or porpoises. Most tours run between May and October.
- Play at the playground – There are plenty of playgrounds in Halifax for kids to run around and burn off some energy.
With so much to do in Halifax in early spring, there’s no excuse not to get outside and enjoy the fresh air with your family!