Take your kid’s summer day camp experience to the next level with DiscoverE Engineering Summer Camps! These exciting, hands-on camps are not just educational, they’re FUN – and with themes like Chemicals & Materials Engineering, Electrical & Computer Engineering, and Robotics, these S.T.E.M.-themed programs will get the thumbs up from parents and kids alike!
DiscoverE’s award-winning engineering camps are lead by University of Alberta undergraduate and graduate students – some even once DiscoverE campers themselves! Camps run from 9 am to 4 pm at the U of A’s North Campus, with a half hour each of pre- and post-camp care available. Each week of camp wraps up with an open house to allow participants to share their projects and learnings with their parents.
Online registration is now open for all camps. Please note that grade ranges listed should be the grade the child will be starting in September 2022.
All camps are priced at $325 per five day week, and $275 for the weeks with a statutory holiday. For those requiring financial assistance, further information on partial and full bursaries can be found on the bursaries page.
Chemical & Materials Engineering Camp
Learn about the materials and chemical reactions that happen on earth all around us! Discover how Chemical and Materials Engineers allow us to live better by creating physical and chemical changes with soil, air, fire & water.
- Grade 1 | Campers will make a glowing, bouncing egg.
- Grades 2-3 | Campers will experiment with how to reduce plastic waste using bioplastics.
- Grades 4-5 | Campers will learn how polymers are used to clean up oil spills.
- Grades 6-7 | Campers will explore exothermic reactions and make their own DIY handwarmers.
- Grades 8-9 | Campers will learn about and build their own water filters.
Electrical & Computer Engineering Camp
Technology is everywhere around us! Learn how Electrical and Computer Engineers harness the power of electricity and use computers to improve our daily lives in everything from playing games to solving complex equations.
- Grade 1 | Campers will program a Botley robot to go through an obstacle course.
- Grades 2-3 | Campers will explore electrical circuits by making their own miner’s headlamp.
- Grades 4-5 | Campers will use electrical engineering to create a DIY dance pad.
- Grades 6-7 | Campers will learn about and train their own AI (artificial intelligence).
- Grades 8-9 | Campers will design, model and build their own electrical dreamhouse prototype.
Learn all about robotics and how they help humans navigate the world around us including flying to distance planets, assembling our vehicles, and helping us communicate with each other! Using LEGO Education SPIKETM, campers will learn the principals of robotics and apply it by making their own working robot models.
- Grades 4-5 | Campers will build a ultrasonic sensor robot that can pitch and hit a baseball.
- Grades 6-7 | Campers will create and program a breakdancing robot.
- Grades 8-9 | Campers will discover how to make a robot skateboard and move like a human.
DiscoverE Engineering Summer Camps:
When: July 4 to August 19, 2022
Time: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Where: 2-215 Donadeo Innovation Centre for Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton