Halloween is just around the corner! Visit our Halloween Events section of our website for some safe and fun family-friendly Halloween events and parties in Calgary.
Alberta Health Services EMS and Family Fun Calgary would like to remind parents and trick or treaters of some basic Halloween safety tips to prepare you for a fun and safe Halloween!
- Regular pedestrian rules still apply. Be sure to cross the road at marked cross walks or well lit corners only.
- Stay away from houses that are not well-lit.
- Do not enter any home you feel is unsafe
- Do not accept rides from strangers
- Let your parents know where you will be going at all times
- Be certain young trick-or-treaters are accompanied by an adult.
- Older children going without adult supervision should stay in groups of three or more.
- Pre-determine boundaries to trick-or-treat within and establish a firm time to return home.
- Advise children not to eat anything until they return home.
- Dispose of any items that appear to have been tampered with or that are not properly wrapped.
- Choose bright, highly visible costumes
- Add reflective tape to further increase visibilty
- Consider sending a flashlight along for additional safetly and increased visibility
- All costume accessories, such as sticks, sands, rods etc. should be soft and flexible with no sharp edges.
- Consider using hypoallergenic make up kits rather than masks that may impair vision or breathing.
- Be sure costumes are loose enough to wear over warm clothing – but not so long and baggy they become a tripping hazard.
- Ensure your child is wearing adequate footwear that takes into consideration weather conditions and walking.