For decades, people have been directed into either technical or creative streams, yet it is precisely at their intersection where ingenuity lives.
That’s where Beakerhead explodes onto the scene!
Beakerhead is an extravaganza of community engagement for all ages. It brings together the arts and engineering sectors to build, engage, and exhibit interactive works of art, spectacle, and entertainment. These art, science, and engineering smash-ups will surprise and delight your whole family. You can experience and explore events and engineered creations from around the world – all at once!
Beakerhead 2019 is coming to Calgary from September 18 – 22, 2019. This five-day event will explode the city with science and awe with its delightfully bizarre, engineered installations and artworks. Plus, they’re guaranteed to entertain the parents as much as the kids! Event tickets range from free to paid and the majority are family-friendly. For more information and family-friendly outings, check the event page: www.beakerhead.com.
New in 2019, Beakerhead is amping up this year’s Spectacle experience by consolidating over 25 engineered art installations in one downtown location, Prince’s Island Park, on September 21, 2019, making it easy for festival-goers to discover and explore. Discover fire-breathing monsters, roaming engineered contraptions, glowing fashion, inventions of mammoth proportions, food, drink, and much more madness. Gates for the Beakerhead Spectacle open at 5 pm and kids 12 and under are FREE at the Spectacle.
Wondering what’s coming with Beakerhead this year? Here’s a sampling of the 2019 program:
- Trippity Twitchit and Notorious B.A.D. – Fiery and mystical metal creations by Calgary-based True North Absurdities.
- Paraluna – A whirling, tilting, pulsating, 35-foot-wide umbrella of 17,000 LED lights choreographed to classical music.
- Lunch without Light – A culinary feast for the senses led by a famous broadcaster and a local neuroscientist.
- For Science! – Think “Blue Man Group meets Bill Nye” at this hilarious and science-based performance.
- MakeFashion – Debuts their latest collection of high fashion wearable tech.
- Community Beacons – Can’t wait for Beakerhead? Get a free preview of some uniquely Beakerhead installations on display in Marda Loop, 4th Street and other communities from September 8 to 20, 2019.
The Beakerhead momentum is continuing to grow in Calgary, so join the excitement. When you throw open the doors to science and engineering through a welcoming world of art and entertainment, a lot can happen!
When: September 18 – 22, 2019 (Spectacle on Prince’s Island Park: September 21, 2019)
Time: Varies for each event
Where: Venues throughout Calgary
Although we do our best to provide you with accurate information, all event details are subject to change. Please contact the facility to avoid disappointment.