Time is fleeting when you have kids — and so is the summer! What’s on your summer fun bucket list? Check out our guide filled with terrific Calgary summer events to help you find the best ways to spend your time. This summer, we want to do more than survive summer and banish boredom. It’s time to make some memories and have some FUN!
What’s on Our Summer Bucket List?
1. It’s time to PLAY! The VIVO Play Hubs, run by the VIVO Play Project and North Central communities, focus on Loose Parts Play; by combining everyday, ordinary items with a child’s imagination, extraordinary play experiences develop. The project offers FREE experiences at Play Hubs this summer to help kids and families get outside, get moving through unstructured play, and get connected.
2. Road trip! Lacombe is less than two hours from Calgary, set in Alberta’s parkland, with beautiful vegetation and plenty of lakes. It’s an ideal place to visit during the summer, with great activities to enjoy outside, special events, and those beautiful, long summer evenings.
3. WinSport Summer Attractions have something for both your adrenaline junkies who want to try the zipline or summer bobsleigh to those who just want to enjoy a scenic lunch. Find your summer fun at WinSport, by staying active, getting fit, and making memories with WinSport’s summer adventures.
4. From July 21 – 24, enjoy a magical weekend of song and dance on Prince’s Island Park when you visit the 43rd annual Calgary Folk Music Festival. Featuring 70+ artists, 7 stages, food and arts market, plus a family zone with activities, face-painting, and children’s entertainment. Kids 12 and under get in free!
5. Go on an adventure through history this summer with Now Boarding: Open Aircraft Days at The Hangar Flight Museum. Every Saturday, Sunday and holiday from June 25 – September 5, 2022, they have one aircraft open with guided tours. Don’t forget to wear closed-toe shoes for this immersive experience.
6. Nothing says summer like hitting the pool! Find outdoor pools, wading pools, and splash parks with the help of our guide.
7. Playgrounds are the absolute best way to spend a morning or an afternoon, without spending a dime! Pack a snack, bring a shovel, meet a friend . . . it’s summer fun at its best and simplest. Check out these Must-Visit Playgrounds in Calgary.
8. What’s your favourite ice cream flavour? Be sure to try a few this summer and enjoy a sweet treat to beat the heat. Find the Best Ice Cream Shops in Calgary.
9. We live in a river city, so let’s make the most of it! Find out everything you need to know to go rafting in Calgary. (Basically, bring lots of snacks.)
10. Pack a picnic and get outside! Summer is too short, so eat al fresco at these classic Calgary picnic spots.
11. Everyone loves a parade, right? Especially if there’s a chance of flying candy! Take a look at our round-up for parades in and around Calgary all summer long.
12. Hit the trails this summer, even if you don’t want to hit the highway. Check out our guide to Urban Hikes.
13. Rainy day? Then check out one of the fun indoor play places in Calgary!
14. Find a FREE playground program with Calgary Recreation!
15. Fruits, vegetables, and lots of family fun! Take a look at our guide to seasonal farmers markets and buy something delicious and nutritious.
What do you get when you combine a community park, a shipping container full of loose parts, and a bunch of kids brimming with imagination? The answer: a Vivo Play Hub, and a ton of fun!
Play Hubs are community gathering spaces in public parks where kids learn to play in stimulating new ways. Play Hubs are free to use and designed to challenge kids to take little risks, engage their imagination, and build a sense of belonging. The result: kids who are more creative, resilient, and active!
When kids let loose, it’s normal for them to get at least a little bit dirty–so clothes that can take a stain or two are a must. Be sure to dress for the weather, and remember it’s never a bad idea to bring some water, a snack, and some sunscreen.
Play Hubs are popping up in community parks throughout North Central Calgary–keep an eye out for hubs in Coventry Hills, Beddington Heights, Hidden Valley, Panorama Hills and Huntington Hills.
Find more great family events to enjoy this summer at www.familyfuncalgary.com!
If you would like to be featured in our Summer Fun Bucket List, please send us an email.