The Calgary Zoo is one of Calgary’s finest destinations for both locals and tourists. For more than 80 years, the Calgary Zoo has been inviting visitors to experience the wilds of Canada, Africa, and Eurasia, all without leaving the city. You can even take a trip to Antarctica or head back in time to when the dinosaurs stomped the earth. Plus, many of the animals represented in the zoo are endangered in the wild and are part of a worldwide cooperative breeding program called the Species Survival Plan. Whether you’re young or old, there are countless reasons to plan a visit to the Calgary Zoo and here are our top five reasons to discover the zoo today!
1. Come see the new baby zebra, Khomas. The December birth of this Hartmann’s zebra colt is a conservation success story, as Hartmann’s zebras are listed as vulnerable and are a part of the Species Survival Plan (SSP). Decide whether the zebra has black stripes on a white background or white stripes on black.
2. Stare down the new female tiger, Sarma, eye to eye. Plus, tiger training is back! This is a free daily program that happens at 11 am. If tigers aren’t your favourite animal, make sure to visit www.calgaryzoo.com/dailyprograms to find all about other animals during animal feeding times and keeper talks. Or time your visit to coincide with a close-up Creature Feature.
3. Walk through the indoor butterfly garden and welcome all the newly emerged butterflies. The ENMAX Conservatory is now LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified and uses a number of energy-efficient technologies. It houses the butterfly garden and a lush jungle atmosphere, The Garden of Life.
4. See for yourself what Alberta looked like in the prehistoric age and experience the badlands when dinosaurs lurked around every corner. The Prehistoric Park will introduce you to life-sized dinosaur models. Go head to head with the king of all dinosaurs, a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
5. Spring in Calgary can be a fickle friend and a temperamental tyrant. A beautiful day can quickly turn cold as the sun disappears and the wind picks up. But at the zoo, all you have to do is slip inside the Destination Africa building or the TransAlta Rainforest, and the weather is beautiful again! It’s a brilliant escape from a cold day, and you don’t even need to travel anywhere.
So, visit the Calgary Zoo today! See the lemurs, watch the hippos swim, and enjoy the elegance of the flamingos. Buy your tickets now, and remember, the best prices for the zoo are found online. Or consider a membership for an even better deal throughout the year. Whatever you decide, we’ll see you at the zoo!
Visit the Calgary Zoo Today:
Hours: Gates open 9 am – 5 pm; Zoo grounds close at 6 pm
Address: 210 St. George’s Drive NE, Calgary, AB
Telephone: 403-232-9300; Toll-free: 1-800-588-9993
Although we do our best to provide you with accurate information, all event details are subject to change. Please contact the facility to avoid disappointment.