Did you know that Canada’s largest outdoor stage is just an hour and a half northeast of Calgary? You may already be familiar with Drumheller, Alberta as being the dinosaur capital of the world. The Royal Tyrrell Museum, opportunities to dig for fossils, great hiking and campgrounds make this a popular destination for many families with young children. The Badlands Amphitheatre also needs to be on your radar!
Nestled into the stunning canyons just off of Dinosaur Trail, this natural bowl amphitheatre is the home of yearly events such as the Badlands Passion Play, Blues and Barbecue, the Canadian Icon Series which has hosted amazing artists such as Blue Rodeo, Tom Cochrane, Jann Arden, and Walk Off the Earth, and LIGHTFEST: Fireworks in the Badlands in collaboration with GlobalFest.
Here is what you need to know if you are taking your family to an event at the Badlands Amphitheatre:
1. Dress for the weather. This is an outdoor venue so don’t forget to wear your sunscreen and bring your extra layers for either shade or warmth depending on the time of year.
2. Bring a seat cushion. The seating is on wooden benches, some of which are a little warped by the weather.
3. Buy your event tickets and parking ticket online ahead of time to save time and money. Parking rates vary per event but you pay less in advance than if you pay on entry.
4. Check event details rules regarding outside food and drink. If the concession stand and pub tent are open with beverages including local lagers and IPAs from Valley Brewing. (Arrangements can be made to leave your car overnight and pick it up the next morning.)
5. Bathrooms are fairly close to the entrance, so you may want to choose a seat close by if you have young children.
6. Be prepared for stunning views and a great show!
Keep an eye on the Badlands Amphitheatre as they are currently constructing the Badlands Art Centre which will include an indoor cafe, rehearsal space, and a black box theatre that will allow even more cultural experiences to enjoy year-round. You can follow along for updates on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Misty loves connecting with people, eating great food and travelling to new places. She has left pieces of herself with people and countries around the world and she currently resides in the beautiful city of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Follow along on her social media channels for the good, the bad and the vulnerable of life. Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @lifewereweare.
The writer was a guest of the Badlands Amphitheatre. The Badlands Amphitheatre did not read, review or approve this story prior to publication.
Although we do our best to provide you with accurate information, all event details are subject to change. Please contact the facility to avoid disappointment.