Have you ever wanted to learn to fish? Fishing is a great family pastime. You get to spend time together – while enjoying the great outdoors – and you know there will be some fun and funny tales to tell afterwards. But if you’re wondering where to begin, you’re not alone! Calgary’s Bow Habitat Station is coming to the rescue with summertime Learn to Fish Clinics.
These fun classes are designed for families with kids aged 4 and up and take place all summer. This year, there are more opportunities than ever to discover the lure of fishing! But the fishing fun doesn’t need to end when the clinic does; following the formal program, you can continue your practice at the Trout Pond until 3:45 pm. So, pack a picnic and make a whole day of it!
What makes this program different from others?
- Bow Habitat Station supplies all the equipment you’ll need for the day so you won’t need to worry about buying anything beforehand.
- The program costs include admission to the Discovery Centre for the day (when open).
- Even adults don’t need to purchase a sport fishing license to participate in this program. The station has a special fish research license for all participants of this program to fish without a license at the Trout Pond (on the day of the program).
- This is a beginner program perfect for first-time anglers (or anglers who need a refresher on the basics).
What will we learn? Lots! You and your family will discover the basics of fishing in Alberta, including:
- How to read fishing regulations and how to identify fish.
- Setting up your equipment (including how to tie a fishing knot).
- What to pack in your tackle box.
- Casting techniques.
Learn to Fish Clinics have a cost. Please note: this is not a drop-off program. All youth must be accompanied by a paid adult. Spaces are limited so register early to secure a spot by calling 403-297-6561. Payment in advance will be required to register.
So take the first step to your “one that got away” and “big whopper” tales and sign up for this fun program!
Learn to Fish Clinics at Bow Habitat Station:
Where: Bow Habitat Station
Address: 1440 17A Street SE, Calgary, AB
Family Learn-to-Fish Clinic:
This 2-hour clinic will provide youth and their parents with the basics of fishing; including reading the regulations, setting up equipment, casting, & releasing fish.
Fee: $20 +tax per person
Who: Ages 4 & up (youth must be accompanied by a paid adult)
When: See HERE
Adult Learn-to-Fish Clinic:
This 1.5-hour outdoor clinic is perfect for adults seeking to learn the basics of fishing before heading on their first fishing adventure.
Fee: $15 +tax per person
Who: Ages 16 & up
When: See HERE