Have you ever wanted to learn to fish? Fishing is a great family pastime. You get to spend time together – while enjoying the great outdoors – and you know there will be some fun and funny tales to tell afterwards. But if you’re wondering where to begin, you’re not alone! Calgary’s Bow Habitat Station is coming to the rescue with summertime Learn to Fish Clinics.
These fun classes are designed for families with kids aged 4 and up and take place all summer. This year, there are more opportunities than ever to discover the lure of fishing! But the fishing fun doesn’t need to end when the clinic does; following the formal program, you can continue your practice with complimentary fishing rod rentals to use at the Trout Pond until 3:45 pm. So, pack a picnic and make a whole day of it!
What makes this program different from others?
- Bow Habitat Station supplies all the equipment you’ll need for the day so you won’t need to worry about buying anything beforehand.
- The program costs include admission to the Discovery Centre for the day.
- Even adults don’t need to purchase a sport fishing license to participate in this program. The station has a special fish research license for all participants of this program to fish without a license at the Trout Pond (on the day of the program).
- This is a beginner program perfect for first-time anglers (or anglers who need a refresher on the basics).
What will we learn? Lots! You and your family will discover the basics of fishing in Alberta, including:
- How to read fishing regulations and how to identify fish.
- Setting up your equipment (including how to tie a fishing knot).
- What to pack in your tackle box.
- Casting techniques.
Learn to Fish Clinics have a cost. Please note: this is not a drop-off program. All youth must be accompanied by a paid adult. Spaces are limited so register early to secure a spot by calling 403-297-6561. Payment in advance will be required to register. Maximum of 20 participants, including adults and youth, per session.
So take the first step to your “one that got away” and “big whopper” tales and sign up for this fun program!
Learn to Fish Clinics at Bow Habitat Station:
Where: Bow Habitat Station
Address: 1440 17A Street SE, Calgary, AB
Family Fishing Clinic:
This 2-hour clinic will provide youth and their parents with the basics of fishing; including reading the regulations, setting up equipment, casting, & releasing fish.
Fee: $20 +tax per person
Who: Ages 6 & up (youth must be accompanied by a paid adult)
When: Saturdays in June, July and August. Thursdays in July and August
Time: 10 am – 12 pm
Junior Fishing Clinic:
This 1-hour clinic is specifically designed for younger kids ages 4-6 and a guardian. Learn the basics of fishing in Alberta together through hands-on activities, before practicing your first casts outside at the Trout Pond.
Fee: $12 +tax per person
Who: Ages 4-6 (youth must be accompanied by a paid adult)
When: Friday and Sundays in July and August
Time: 10 am – 11 am
Although we do our best to provide you with accurate information, all event details are subject to change. Please contact the facility to avoid disappointment.