Happy Holidays, Saskatoon! For parents, the Christmas season often brings presents, lots of food, a whole lotta busy, and, of course, school holidays!! There’s no better time to enjoy some sweet family time than the Christmas holidays, but occasionally the season leaves us feeling a little broke! Never fear, you don’t need wads of cash to enjoy some family-time in this city! That’s why we’ve compiled this list of:
12 Inexpensive Things to Do in Saskatoon Over the Holidays
1. Hit up a Tobogganing Hill! Grab your crazy carpet, GT, favourite sled, or even a garbage bag (seriously, it works) and head to the sledding hill in your neighborhood. Saskatoon is a wondeful city full of tobogganing hills. You will probably find one at your neighborhood school, but you can also try one these 10 Best Places to Toboggan in Saskatoon.
2. Do a Puzzle – Every Saskatonian knows that the winter holidays in this city can be a little dark and chilly! Why not cozy up in the light of your Christmas tree and warm up with a puzzle?! It’s a suitable activity for most ages and a sure-fire way to get those often-incommunicado school-agers to open up!
3. Have a Family Potluck Party – Nothing spells Christmas quite like food and friends! Why not share some holiday cheer with loved ones and split the cooking potluck-style?
4. SSCI Indoor Playgroup – Little ones getting cabin fever? Try SSCI Indoor Playgroup at Saskatoon Kinsmen/Henk Rhys Soccer Centre in Lawson Heights! The SSCI opens two indoor soccer fields, fills them with kiddie toys and riding implements and leaves your kids to do the rest! Admission is $5 for one child and $1 for each additional child. It runs Monday through Friday, 9:30am – 11:45am.
5. Check out Saskatoon’s Best Christmas Lights Displays – What better activity to fill some those long, dark winter hours? Pop the family into the car and check out the FREE Clinkskill Lights display. This elaborately decorated house in South Nutana Park is home to around 70 000 lights, a radio station, and about 20 minutes of flashy, festive fun. And while you’re at it, why not check these other awesome lights displays in Saskatoon?
6. Skate at an Outdoor Rink – Just another awesome FREE activity in Saskatoon! Grab some skates and cool down with a skate at your local outdoor rink. Many communities in Saskatoon maintain an ice during the winter season. You will likely find one at a school near you or contact your local community association for a tip on where to find one. If you don’t have your own skates, head down to the Cameco – Meewasin Skating Rink located beside the beautiful Bessborough hotel in downtown Saskatoon and borrow a pair! This facility is open from noon til 9pm daily. Alternately, check out our guide to everything you need to know about public skating in Saskatoon!
7. Watch a Movie – The theatre is often a draw during the holiday season, but nothing beats a cuddle-up at home with a nice movie! Both are great options for a relaxing holiday time with the family, but staying home is certainly easier on the pocketbook! Alternately check out a $3 Family-Favourites movie on Saturday mornings at Cineplex.
8. Family Games Night – Krokinole, Checkers, Cranium, Cribbage, Guess Who, Monopoly, Battleship—what was your favourite game to play as a kid? Make this year the year that you enjoy a family night of boardgames with your kids!
9. Read a Book as a Family – It’s always nice to cuddle up with a good book especially when the weather outside is frightful! Why not do it as a family? Pick a decent chapter book that you can all get into and take turns reading it in bed in your jammies! Here’s a few of our favourites…Charlie and Chocolate Factory, Charlotte’s Web, Harry Potter, The Spiderwick Chronicles, Diary of Wimpy Kid, and Geronimo Stilton!
10. Take a Winter Walk – The Meewasin Valley Trail is always a scenic place to take a stroll and winter is no exception! Bundle up and get out as a family on any of these awesome trails! Meewasin clears city paths as best they can during the winter, but if you’re feeling adventurous, you can also take head out of town for a walk at Cranberry Flats Conservation Area or Wanuskewin Heritage Park.
11. Visit a Museum! Ever been to the Marr Residence? It is the oldest building in Saskatoon and it served as a field hospital during the Northwest Rebellion. Check it out with the family during the holiday season! Or the Western Development Museum? Have you checked out their seasonal displays or taken a walk through boomtown? The holidays are nice time to stay warm in a one of Saskatoon’s fantastic museums.
13. Watch a Puppet Show! The Saskatoon Public Library is offering a seasonal puppet show during the post-Christmas lull at Frances Morrison Central Library on December 27.
15. Ring in the New Year with some inexpensive Fun – Check out the SPL’s Noon Year’s Eve party for an early countdown, a slightly later one at Eastview Bowl’s New Year’s Eve Family Bash or the Cameco Meewasin’s New Year’s Skating Party.
16. There’s always Christmas Lights Displays – Most folks leave their Christmas lights displays up past New Year’s and we know where to find the best ones! Checkout our list of best displays of the season.
Wishing your family peace, joy, a few good times this holiday season! All the best from FamilyFun Saskatoon!
Although we do our best to provide you with accurate information, all event details are subject to change. Please contact the facility to avoid disappointment.