Happy Holidays, Saskatoon! For parents, the Christmas season often brings presents, lots of food, a whole lotta busy, and, of course, school holidays!! There’s no better time to enjoy some sweet family time than the Christmas holidays, but occasionally the season leaves us feeling a little broke! That’s why we’ve compiled this list of:
16 Inexpensive Things to Do in Saskatoon Over the Holidays
1. Hit up a Tobogganing Hill! Grab your crazy carpet, GT, favourite sled, or even a garbage bag (seriously, it works) and head to the sledding hill in your neighbourhood. Saskatoon is a wonderful city full of tobogganing hills. You will probably find one at your neighbourhood school, but you can also try one of these 10 Best Places to Toboggan in Saskatoon.
2. Check out Winter City Snow Glow – Enjoy some beautiful lights at the Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan site! It’s completely free and a beautiful walk morning/evening spent with the kids. The Winter City Snow Glow will be a great activity to get your family out of the house!
3. Have a Family Potluck Party – Nothing spells Christmas quite like food and friends! Why not share some holiday cheer with loved ones and split the cooking potluck style?
4. SSCI Indoor Playgroup – Little ones getting cabin fever? Try SSCI Indoor Playgroup at Saskatoon Kinsmen/Henk Rhys Soccer Centre in Lawson Heights! The SSCI opens two indoor soccer fields, fills them with kiddie toys and riding implements and leaves your kids to do the rest!
5. Check out Saskatoon’s Best Christmas Lights Displays – What better activity to fill some of those long, dark winter hours? Pop the family into the car and check out the FREE Clinkskill Lights display. This elaborately decorated house in South Nutana Park is home to around 70 000 lights, a radio station, and about 20 minutes of flashy, festive fun. And while you’re at it, why not check these other awesome lights displays in Saskatoon?
6. Skate at an Outdoor Rink – Just another awesome FREE activity in Saskatoon! Grab some skates and cool down with a skate at your local outdoor rink. Many communities in Saskatoon maintain ice during the winter season. You will likely find one at a school near you or contact your local community association for a tip on where to find one.
7. Watch a Movie – The theatre is often a draw during the holiday season, but nothing beats a cuddle-up at home with a nice movie! Both are great options for a relaxing holiday time with the family, but staying home is certainly easier on the pocketbook! With all the streaming options you can pick the perfect movie! Or borrow one from the library!
8. Family Games Night – Krokinole, Checkers, Cranium, Cribbage, Guess Who, Monopoly, Battleship—what was your favourite game to play as a kid? Make this year the year that you enjoy a family night of board games with your kids!
9. Read a Book as a Family – It’s always nice to cuddle up with a good book especially when the weather outside is frightful! Why not do it as a family? Pick a decent chapter book that you can all get into and take turns reading it in bed in your jammies! Here’s a few of our favourites…Charlie and Chocolate Factory, Charlotte’s Web, Harry Potter, The Spiderwick Chronicles, Diary of Wimpy Kid, and Geronimo Stilton! Stop by the Saskatoon Public Library or grab exchange books at one of Saskatoon’s Free Little Libraries.
10. Take a Winter Walk – The Meewasin Valley Trail is always a scenic place to take a stroll and winter is no exception! Bundle up and get out as a family on any of these awesome trails! Meewasin clears city paths as best they can during the winter, but if you’re feeling adventurous, you can also head out of town for a walk at Cranberry Flats Conservation Area.
11. Visit a Museum! Ever been to the Marr Residence? It is the oldest building in Saskatoon and it served as a field hospital during the Northwest Rebellion. Check it out with the family during the holiday season! Or the Western Development Museum? Have you checked out their seasonal displays or taken a walk through boomtown? The holidays are a nice time to stay warm in one of Saskatoon’s fantastic museums. Or check out the Aviation Museum! There is nothing more exciting than airplanes!
13. Don’t forget to Check Out Wanuskewin Winter Programming! They’ve got programs for over the holiday season as well as a wonderful playground and trails to hike!
15. Feed the chickadees at Beaver Creek. Take advantage of the amazing trails at Beaver Creek Conservation Area. It’s just out of town and the chickadees will eat right out of your hands!
16. Your family can also visit with the animals on a walk around the Forestry Farm and Saskatoon Zoo. It’s free all winter long for visits with the animals.
Wishing your family peace, joy, a few good times this holiday season! All the best from FamilyFun Saskatoon!