School’s out! The summer season is in full swing, and Saskatoon families are looking to make the best of the season. Getting out and about can be expensive, but, lucky for Saskatonians, there are plenty of fun and inexpensive things to do in Saskatoon this summer that won’t break the bank. Here are a few of our top picks:
Inexpensive Things to Do in Saskatoon This Summer
- Take the family swimming for a loonie per person at a City of Saskatoon Outdoor Pool. Nothing spells summer quite like a refreshing dip in a pool, and you can do it on the cheap Monday to Thursday evenings after 6pm! Some restrictions apply.
- Speaking of pools, why not make a splash at a City of Saskatoon Paddling Pool? These facilities are FREE and come staffed with a summer student who will entertain kids with crafts and games right on-site. Check schedule for opening hours. With over 30 locations, you’re never far from a paddling pool.
- As well as regular performances of Titus A puppet revenge, The Merry Wives of Windsor, and Hamlet, the Community Stage at Shakespeare on Saskatchewan hosts FREE performances of dance, play-readings, poetry, spoken word, bands, and more throughout the season. Performances begin at 6pm Tuesday through Sunday, and also at noon on Sunday.
- Hit up a playground in Saskatoon! Scattered throughout the city on school grounds or in public green spaces, there are dozens of awesome playgrounds to choose from in Saskatoon. Play the day away, and don’t spend a penny! Check out our list of Top Ten Playgrounds in Saskatoon for 2018.
- Make a masterpiece at Saskatoon Community Youth Arts Program. On Tuesdays and Thursdays between 5:30pm and 9pm, and Saturdays between 1pm and 6pm SCYAP is open for families to drop-in and craft together at no cost!
- Nutrien Playland at Kinsmen Park should not be overlooked when it comes a cheap-ish day out. The zip-line, novelty slides, and sand/splash pad are FREE, and the train, ferris wheel, and merry-go-round will only set you back a toonie each!
- ‘Spare’ your change with the Kids Bowl Free program! Register with participating local bowling alleys and receive up to 2 games per day for FREE with this program aimed at giving back to kids and communities.
- Grind, drop, and alley-oop at a skateboard park location in Saskatoon. These facilities won’t cost you a dime, and you can also take advantage of the FREE opportunity to have some skateboard lessons from the City of Saskatoon. See schedule for locations and times.
- Get up close and personal with a T-Rex at the U of S Museum of Natural Sciences! Grab the family and head to the University of Saskatchewan Biology building and behold, among other things, a full-size T-rex, mini-aquarium, and fascinating geological displays.
- If you’re a family of car enthusiasts, why not attend the Rock 102 Show and Shine August 18th to 20th in downtown Saskatoon? It’s FREE to set your sights on the plethora of amazing rides from times past.
- Walk, ride, roll, or stroll the Meewasin Valley Trail. Get your fresh air and exercise and enjoy the sights of our beautiful city on miles and miles of trail that run through the heart of city and beyond.
- Speaking of getting fresh air and exercise, why not branch a little further out and head to Cranberry Flats or Beaver Creek to explore the natural habitat surrounding our great city?!
- Take advantage of the Saskatoon Public Library FREE programming all summer long! Of course, you can always grab a book and just read, but it should also be noted that SPL offers dozens of programs for families from story-time to crafting opportunities.
- Set your sights on the heavens at the University of Saskatchewan observatory. View celestial objects free of charge with your family Saturday nights at this staffed facility! See schedule for times.
- Leave your wallet at home and come out and enjoy Theatre in the Park with SUM Theatre! From July 2 – 31, a performance of Queen Seraphina and the Land of Vertebraat will be coming to a park near you!
- Cheer on your favourite Dragon Boat team! July 20st and 21st is your opportunity to take the festivities at Rotary Park and, of course, watch the colourful boats take to the South Saskatchewan for a most exciting race!
- Hit up a spray pad with the fam! Cool off with the spray and colourful features of a spray pad in Saskatoon! Check out the new pad in Stonebridge or one of the 16 other locations in the city.
- Check out the Fringe Festival August 2nd – 11th on Broadway. For the price of tipping a well-deserving street performer, you and your family can enjoy theatre, dancing, crafts, performances, and more at this family-friendly festival.
- Summer in Saskatchewan is not complete without a trip to the lake. The park fee is a small price to pay for beach memories that will last a lifetime! Check out our list of 5 lakes near Saskatoon worthy of a daytrip.
- If you’ve never made use of a City of Saskatoon Youth Centre, make 2018 the summer that you do! These FREE facilities (and travelling services) offer supervised opportunities to participate in sports, crafts, and music at locations around Saskatoon.
Happy Summer to Saskatoon families! Enjoy every minute of that precious season! School will be back before you know it…
Although we do our best to provide you with accurate information, all event details are subject to change. Please contact the facility to avoid disappointment.