We’ve compiled a Summer Event checklist that includes all the must-dos for your family to prevent the boredom blues. Print off this bucket list, stick it to the fridge and see how many you can get through before the Fall arrives.
1. Book your spot at the utterly amazing, and fantastically priced Otter Co-op Outdoor Experience! For less than $40 for a family of four, you can enjoy a 25 m pool, 1 and 3 m diving boards, a hot tub, a leisure pool, a sauna, a steam room, a lazy river channel, a spray park, tidal pool, and THREE water slides!
2. The very popular Surrey Sounds of Summer concert series returns for the 2022 season. Bring a picnic blanket or chair and settle in for summer sunsets and live FREE music in a stunning setting in Surrey’s gardens.
3. Rumble aboard an underground train, pan for gold, and immerse yourself in the multi-sensory experience of BOOM! at the award-winning Britannia Mine Museum. Experience the Museum’s summer exhibit More Than A Mine – Recreation In A Mining Town which offers visitors a nostalgic historical throwback to how Britannia residents enjoyed their recreational life during the mining days
4. Playgrounds are the absolute best way to spend a morning or afternoon, without spending a dime! Pack a snack, bring a shovel, meet a friend… it’s summer fun at its best and simplest. Check out these Must-Visit Playgrounds around Metro Vancouver?
5. Start hiking as a family! These 7 Kid-Friendly Hikes are great for kids of all ages.
6. Go bowling with your kids. Did you know that in the summer Kids Bowl Free at various lanes around Metro Vancouver? All you have to do is sign them up!
7. Soar about the forest floor when you visit the Greenheart TreeWalk at UBC Botanical Garden.
8. With over 30 rides and attractions, Playland has something to offer guests of all ages. Which ride is your favourite?
9. Embrace all things aviary and visit the Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary
10. Pack a picnic and have a family dinner either on the beach or at one of these 5 lesser known picnic spots.
11. Visiting the Fraser Valley? Check out Abbotsford’s Sevenoaks Shopping Centre with more than 120 stores and a huge food court featuring OPA!, Bubble Tea, Freshslice Pizza, Famous Wok, Subway, Thai Express, Purdy’s & more! Once you are done shopping just walk across the parking lot and spend time at the adjacent Centennial Outdoor Pool and Mill Lake Park.
12. Get soaked at one (or many) of the spray and water parks in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
13. Ride the Fraser Valley Heritage Railway in Cloverdale. The 55-minute ride will take you on a fun journey & teach you a bit of history.
14. Burn off some of the endless kid-energy at the ultra-cool – and completely free – parkour park in Langley.
15. Bring popcorn and watch a FREE outdoor movie in a number of communities across Metro Vancouver.
16. Play a round of mini golf
17. Find treasures in your backyard or wherever your summer ramblings take you. Geocaching is a FREE family activity you can do literally anywhere.
18. Got a little detective on your hands? The Police Museum is the place for you.
19. Swim in an outdoor pool.
20. Buy local and support the farmers at the many Farmer’s Markets happening all summer across Metro Vancouver.
21. Grab the kids and go explore Richmond’s Larry Berg Flight Path Park. While the planes fly overhead, kids can scramble over the globe and run up & down their own runways.
22. Have you tried the crazy game of disc golf? Give it a go at Little Mountain, Jericho Jill, Eastview Park, Rockridge or Qualichena.
23. Visit the FREE Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge
24. Spend a rainy summer day in the Bloedel Conservatory
25. Enjoy a peaceful walk through the Dr Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Gardens. Why not pack a picnic and make an afternoon of it?
Been there, done that? Check our calendar to see exactly what’s happening this week in Metro Vancouver.