What are Canada’s Friendliest Cities and Towns in 2021? Expedia is a digital travel giant that helps travellers all over the world easily plan and book travel. But Expedia also does research based on traveller reviews…and some of the results are interesting!
The Expedia.ca Friendliest Cities List analysed traveller feedback from online reviews about cities and towns across Canada, based on cities and towns with the highest percentage of positive traveller reviews mentioning “friendly, friendliest, amiable” and other friendly-related words from January 2019 – December 2020.
“Did a local provide an outstanding dinner recommendation? Were you greeted with smiles and hellos (or at least smiling eyes over a mask)? Was there just overall feel-good energy? These might be some of the random acts of friendliness that earned these cities and towns the highest mentions…” explains Expedia in a press release sent out in March 2021.
A close look at the survey reveals that this year’s survey favours smaller, outdoorsy cities rather than urban centres, which meets with predicted travel trends, as Covid-19 forces travellers to search for vacation options closer to home.
Have you been to a friendly town or city lately? Your next online review could help make it into next year’s list!
Canada’s Friendliest Cities and Towns of 2021
1. Radium Hot Springs, British Columbia: Read our latest story about Radium Hot Springs!
2. Digby, Nova Scotia: famous for whale watching and delicious scallops.
3. Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario: a perfect weekend away for wine-lovers.
4. Baddeck, Nova Scotia: On the Bras D’Or Lake – the home of Alexander Graham Bell.
5. Drumheller, Alberta: the dinosaur capital of the world.
6. Saint John, New Brunswick: friendly folks (and a great food scene) on the Bay of Fundy.
7. Gatineau, Quebec: Close to Ottawa, Gatineau is a friendly place to explore.
8. Thunder Bay, Ontario: Thunder Bay is full of adventure and activities all year long.
9. Banff, Alberta: The Banff mountains are calling!
10. Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island: Charlottetown is the home of Anne of Green Gables.
11. Whistler, British Columbia: There’s outdoors fun galore in Whistler, even in the summer!
12. Osoyoos, British Columbia: Wining, dining and outdoor fun in BC Wine County
13. La Malbaie, Quebec: This town, in the stunning region of Charlevoix, has a cool, friendly vibe.
14. Nanaimo, British Columbia: Nanaimo is a place to take in and feel that fresh ocean air.
15. Mont-Tremblant, Quebec: This ski town (and its quaint pedestrian village) welcomes you!
16. St. John’s, Newfoundland…and don’t forget Mount Pearl!
17. Gananoque, Ontario: Gananoque is a jumping-off point to experience the 1000 islands.
18. Canmore, Alberta: Outdoor fun and even supernatural adventures Close to Calgary… but a world away!
19. Stratford, Ontario: Find creative inspiration in this friendly festival town.
20. Fernie, British Columbia: Friendly Fernie for all-weather adventure in the Rockies.
Note: Friendliness in 2021 means wearing a mask to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 virus. We wish you happy travels within friendly Canada…but only when it’s safe!